Sunday, January 10, 2021

The Unboxing - Part 2

The SUBS

There are TWO of these monsters - 12" in a wedge shaped enclosure, mirrored L/R pair. I was more worried about these than the mains, as the cones are paper and the surrounds are foam.

NO PRAHBLEM! They look gorgeous The foam feels fine, the cones move easily.




The EQUALIZER

One of the fun things about Synthesis is figuring out who makes all the other goods that JBL puts their name on. In 1997 one of the top signal processing makers was RANE and this is obviously made by them.


Obviously in 2020 we're going all digital so this thing is going away.


The PROCESSOR

It makes me sad that this thing is basically worthless. At the time the Lexicon MC-1 was THE THING to have. I have been told that even as a 2-channel preamp this thing is incredible, but you probably couldn't convince anyone serious about 2-channel that today. This thing was even pre-DTS. I still use an MC-1 in my theater, and it sounds good for what it is, but honestly I'm not sure who would even want this thing at this point.

So far so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Decisions #1 - The Processor

Alright I'm getting serious about moving this thing along. And it's a welcome distraction lately. And the wife is wondering when thi...